Monday, December 8, 2014

The Dead Are Walking Amongst Us by Luz Amaya Arreola

The Walking Dead is not any ordinary cliché zombie series, although it may give off that impression. Before I commenced this new journey while watching this sequence I thought this show would be idiotic and uninteresting. Although, only the finest can take a theme as accustomed as zombie apocalypse and make a moving drama that also feels shiny and thrilling. Frank Darabont unquestionably tackled the seemingly perilous task of making an original and exhilarating zombie series.
The Walking Dead: Season 1 premiered on October 31, 2010 on the television channel AMC.  This show tells a story of a small group of survivors of a zombie apocalypse. The first season takes place in Atlanta. The sheriff’s deputy, Rick, gets shot and goes into a coma at the beginning of the first episode and amazingly wakes up to find that zombies had run over his whole town. The world as he knows it is gone, and for now at least, are only two things to think about: The persistent ambush of greedy eaters of human flesh; and the struggle, sometimes with other humans to survive. He later finds a man and his son who save his life and shelter him for a bit until he leaves to go search for his wife and son. On his way he meets another survivor named Glen who also saves his life and takes Rick into his group. These survivors search for a safe place from the “walkers” as they call them or “biters”. When the group takes him back to their camp he sees that his wife and son have been there the whole time. The group has to leave camp due to zombies invading it. Some of their group members die while this occurred and miserably they have to let go and keep moving forward to find safety for the rest of the group.  On their quest to find a safe zone they encounter a Center for Disease control and Prevention (CDC). It is safe there from all zombies. Unfortunately, before the group got there he doctor lost hope of there being any humans alive. He whispers something into Rick’s ear and just pauses with a shocking look, and the group escapes just in time within seconds of the CDC eruption.
The criteria I will use to review walking dead includes originality, humor, plot twists and how the actors are portrayed. When I look for originality it has to be something different and eye captivating. If I know what’s going to happen next it isn’t original to me and I will most likely change the channel. They can’t be an accumulation of other show plots. I love watching a show that is serious but it still has humor in it. I love getting a laugh when they are in the middle of a life and death situation. Humor is a big must for me. I don’t like staged set ups, I like honest jokes and genuine humor. Plot twists are my favorite. Shows can’t always have a happy ending, I want something realistic, something that will make me mad and want to cry. Again back to originality I will not watch a show that is predictable and unoriginal, plot twists are what attain my attention. The actors have to be virtuous, they have to give you a good vibe.  The actors must be realistic if not I won’t watch the show.
In the first season of The Walking Dead I had to watch it a couple times for it to really attain my attention. First of all I knew it was about zombies which doesn’t make it very original, it sounded cliché to me. As I’m watching the first episode I see that while Rick was in the coma his wife was having an intimate relationship with his best friend Shane. This was mind blowing to me, I didn’t expect that at all especially during a zombie apocalypse. One thing I would change is probably the racial comments made by one of the actors it can be original because I don’t normally see that on television, but it’s not something I like listening to. I would give the originality a 7 out of 10. 
There was a couple scenes where humor did occur. I’m not expecting the whole show to be a comedy, it is nice having some humor inserted into a serious event. There was one part where Rick asks the guy who saved his life (Glen) what he did to survive, and Glen responds “Nothing I was just the pizza guy.” What makes this so funny is how he said it and how random it was. It happens a couple times throughout the seasons as well. I would give the humor and 8 out of 10. 
This series is filled with plot twists. In the first season I did not expect to see the people who were like main actors to die. You think they are safe and within seconds they’re going to be blown into pieces. I would give the plot twists a 9 out of 10.  
For the most part the actors are all astounding. They don’t over exaggerate, everything seems so real. What I don’t like is how easy they make it seem to shoot people and zombies. Rick can pull it off but his son can’t. He’s like ten years old, he cannot pull that off. I would give the acting a 7 out of 10. 
Overall the first season captured my attention and till this day I still keep up with series even though I scarcely watch television, I’ll put time for this eye-capturing show.




No comments:

Post a Comment