Monday, December 8, 2014

Books Make Great Changes by Yagidzie Martinez Perez

About four years ago, a young girl came across a five-hundred page book on the shelf of her older brother’s bookcase. That young girl was me, and the reason why this is being brought up is because the book made an impact to my life. I have always been a very social person, but this book helped grow my knowledge on human behavior, such as how people change and how certain situations tend to make them act the way they do. Somewhere along the lines, I’ve been capable of holding a connection between my peers in order to make sure they are safe.  A powerful book like Crank, will always stay in the back of my mind.
            To begin, Crank is a novel that was written by Ellen Hopkins in 2004 and its won New York Times Bestselling novel.  What makes this book so intriguing is that it is partially based on the authors real life. It is mainly about how her daughter became addicted to drugs. You might wonder why a little girl would be interested reading such things, but there are numerous reasons on why I continued to read it. Being so young, I had never experienced having a boyfriend, being offered drugs (I didn’t even know what drugs were), traveling anywhere without my mom, or doing anything that would upset my parents. Crank literally caused me to picture everything I read as if it were happening in front of my face.  
            Crank is about a teenage girl named Kristina that lives in Reno with her mother, but goes to Albuquerque one summer to visit her father. Meanwhile Kristina is there; her father is hardly home and Kristina meats this guy she is very attracted to named Adam, who she ends up forming a relationship with. Adam introduces Kristina to drugs, primarily Crank. Before summer, Kristina was a straight-A honor student, and once she came back from visiting her father, she became a total different person. She was the opposite of what “Kristina”was.
            Essentially, Kristina came back from Albuquerque and began to call herself Bree. Now this is where I was captured,  I have never experienced crank (I certainly do not wish to) or witnessed anyone close to me consume it. Bree was a total different persona in comparison to Kristina, more of a bad girl who chose drugs over anything. The terrifying image was how two personalities were within one girl. The only reason Kristina began to call herself Bree was for the drugs she was handling,  they were changing her, creating her into “the Monster.” As the author describes the process of Kristina’s change, I felt the words touch me, they were very powerful.
            Additionally, as time passed, I’d read this book a repeated number of times, to a point where it became a habit to read every June when I was bored at home.  Although when I was younger, I will confess I didn’t completely understand what was going on. Now that I am older, I understand a lot more than I thought I did before. I’ve realized it made an impact in my life because it is based on a real life story. As I entered high school, I noticed the friends I had in middle school went all different routes. Some went from bad to great, and some dropped from wonderful to questionable.  It’s important because it’s made me see how much people change, and how small things make them act different ways. Parents should definitely consider reading Crank, since it is such a meaningful book, maybe it will help them get a glimpse of what their children may come across one day and help prevent it.
            Furthermore, reading Crank has made me want to stick around for anyone who may need my help. Sometimes people feel alone and it’s what leads them to falling into bad habits. I certainly would have to say I do not regret picking this book up, even if it was without permission, because it has changed my perspective on the way I see people. The innocent ones don’t always remain innocent, and the wild ones don’t always stay wild. In addition, I’ve become such a charismatic person; all for a book I had read when I was younger. Sometimes you come across things in life, but have yet to realize why it’s caught your attention until you learn it crossed your path for a reason.

            Finally, I would like to rate this book a five out of five. Ellen Hopkins wrote this book in a poem manner, which made it fun to read. The writing she applied was easy tu understand, which held more of my attention. After seeing how deep down hill her daughter’s life went for doing drugs, it’s made me be aware. This book was written to entertain, but also to inform and I believe its goals were achieved. It’s played a role with the attitude I have now, I’ve come to realize that books can make great changes in people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment